Server upgrade

Since the 1 & 1 server this domain is running on was already a bit aged (approx. 4 years old) and as a precaution for the things to come (at least the things i’m planning to do) I decided to do a server crossgrade to a 1 & 1 Homepage Server L64 (Athlon 64×2 3800+, 2 x 2,0 GHz, 1 GB, 2 x 160 GB, Software-RAID). I suppose that this horsepower should be sufficient for the next few years, especially since i’m planning to use cloud computing facilities like S3, EC2 etc. in case i need really scalable web applications.

The process itself went smoother than anticipated. I ordered the cross-grade on Jan, 3rd. and was told that it would take approx. 5- 7 workdays.

Just to be sure first i did backup my MySQL-databases. There were some minor problems with the phpmyadmin supplied by 1&1 not being able to backup the database of this blog. Presumably because it was too big (or taking too long) due to all the Spam-Entries in the database. I had to resort ssh and the commandline (actually a much nicer process ;-) I then did a backup of the dumped databases and the webspace to my local machines via rsync.

Expecting something like a mail announcing that the maschine will be switched in the next 24 hours, i waited. On Jan, 7th just by curiosity i logged into the machine and did a “less /proc/cpuinfo” and found that the machine was already upgraded.

I tested the different domains and apps and it looks that all are running smoothly. So if you find any glitches, contact me.